- Engine type:
Chevrolet V8 OHV
- Engine capacity:
- Period GR 1966 to 1971
- Fia class TSRC18
- FIA vehicle identity nº 26633
The McLaren M8D Can-Am cars were McLaren “Team Cars” constructed by McLaren. This particular McLaren, chassis number M8D/3, was originally driven by Dan Gurney and Peter Gethin in the 1970 season, winning three times. It was updated to M8F specification for 1971 and used as the Team spare car.
M8D/3 next made its way to Herb Kaplan’s US Racing Team for Scooter Patrick in 1973. Raced by John Cordts under Performance Racing in 1974. Sold to Merle Brennan for use in Can-Am 1977, and sold to Baumgard around 1978, then to John Foulston in 1985. Foulston had the car put back to M8D specification, and it was sold to Paul Whight in 1987. Mr. Whight vintage raced the car with success and sold it to Lawrence Stroll in 1999. M8D/3 was sent to racing specialists Lanzante Ltd. for a complete restoration to the highest standard and has seen little use since.
- 6/14/70 : Mosport – Gurney – 1st Place
- 6/28/70 : St. Jovite – Gurney – 1st Place
- 7/26/70 : Edmonton – Gethin – 2nd Place
- 8/30/70 : Elkhart Lake – Gethin – 1st Place
- 9/27/70 : Donnybrooke – Gethin – 2nd Place